ANZ's Farms



Saturday, April 23, 2011

Busy, Busy!

Jon and Kristi, to be wed May 21, 2011
There just aren't enough hours in the day to get it all done. I'm sure you share the sentiment. This month is busier than usual, though. First, both surgeries. The hardest part has been the activity restrictions -- no bending over and no lifting anything greater than 8 pounds (can we say 50 pound grain bags weekly for the goats and chickens?!). Next, we have a wedding in the family. Scott's oldest is getting married, so we are planning a rehearsal dinner and getting the house ready for out of town family. Spring cleaning is sorely needed, the combination of pollen and neglect. I gave up on trying to keep the house clean when once I "vacuumed" the whole house only to find the vacuum wasn't working. Seeing dust and dirt again is the only down side to restored sight. Additionally, spring is for planting and staking and laying straw to keep the weeds out of the garden. Putting my hands in dirt fills my soul and clears my head, but balancing the timing between last frost and the surgeries has been tricky. Mowing has resumed, another chore I can do again now that I can see. Lastly, there are seasonal farm chores on top of the daily ones. The spring chicks need their bedding changed, and food and water freshened often. It will be nice when we can add them to the flock and drop those extra responsibilities off the list. Mamma goat and the bunnies got sheared of their winter coats in preparation for hot days ahead and 20 hooves were trimmed.

I hope I don't sound like I am complaining ... I'm not. I love this life. In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to start an urban farm was a life without enough to do. I remember one morning saying to Scott, "It's 8 am. Time to get up!" to which he replied, "Why?". I resolved in that moment to enrich our lives so that we would have a reason to get up each morning. Farming sure has done that!

2 comments:

  1. Amelia, Just read about your surgery. What surgeries did you have? How are you? Praying for your speedy recovery. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had plenty to do, that's for sure! It's so nice you will be able to see so well for the wedding. And what a time of year to have those surgeries over with! Everything blooming, babies being born, marriages... Love the picture of Jon and Kristi; they are so lovely, and the picture really shows how happy they are!

    ReplyDelete