ANZ's Farms



Friday, December 18, 2009

Split Pea Soup - A Wonderful Homesteading Moment



My husband has been wanting Split Pea Soup, so I was in the kitchen early this morning making some. I am doing my own version of Julie & Julia (loved that movie!), so I had a new recipe I wanted to try. I didn't realize I would need celery and had none on hand, until I remembered ... there is some in the garden!  The celery patch looked so good when I put the garden to bed for the winter, I didn't pull it up. It's been through several freezing nights, but is still green and healthy looking (see picture above). Good thing it was dark when I headed to the garden, in my pajamas with knife in hand; my neighbors have to endure enough as it is without viewing this over their morning cup of coffee.
This was one of those wonderful, serendipitous moments that homesteading often brings. I was thinking like a city girl -- Oh, no. I don't have this ingredient. I need to run to the grocery store. For heaven's sake, it's 4:30 in the morning! -- until I remembered I am a homesteader in the making. I have what I need on hand. What a blessing!
The soup, with homemade croutons

No comments:

Post a Comment