ANZ's Farms



Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer Entertaining - from the Garden

The family will gather at my house for dinner Saturday night to celebrate my sister's 60th birthday. An auspicious occasion that deserves a grand meal. I am planning the menu based on what's ready from the farm:

Goat cheese and crackers. I will serve several varieties as appetizers -- straight on a cracker with a dollop of homemade green pepper jelly, the tried and true Stacia's Blend (which has mint, basil and honey) and a new concoction with pineapple.
Tomato pie. It sounds strange, I know. But in the same fashion that others await a center-slice tomato sandwich on white bread with mayo, this is the highlight food of my summers. Chop some tomatoes into chunks and drain well. Fill a cooked deep-dish pie shell. Liberally sprinkle on basil and oregano. Cover with a mixture of chopped purple onion, mayo/miracle whip and grated sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 until bubbly. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Silver Queen corn on the cob ... the ones the squirrels don't eat.
Fried okra and Squash and Onions. What Southern summer meal would be complete without these dishes!
Asparagus String beans. An egg customer gave me the seeds for this type of bean. She suggests chopping them into 2-inch slices and stir frying them to the desired tenderness. My husband will tell you I never entertain without trying at least one new recipe on my guests.
Cucumber slices in vinegar. Not my favorite, but the fam likes them.
Biscuits with some of our honey.

There are meat-lovers in the family. If they can come, I guess I'll have to fix some meat. But in my opinion, adding anything else to this meal would be like gilding the lily. Bon appetite!

1 comment: