ANZ's Farms



Monday, January 4, 2010

Counting My Homestead Blessings


It is a good habit to be thankful. Reviewing my blessings is something I try to do regularly, especially on hard days. I am thankful for my animals and enjoy seeing them even when inside. The fluffy butts of chickens scratching the ground is the view from the kitchen window. Thanks to the efforts of my wonderful husband who organized the spaghetti of phone and computer wires as we moved our office to the front room, my goats are now under my watchful eye out the window next to my computer.

I am thankful for my cold frame from which I got lettuce for a salad yesterday. It sits on the south side of the house for plenty of sunshine on the record-breaking cold days. In the driveway next to the cold frame is the little red truck that, in spite of its high mileage, totes whatever won't fit in my car. I am thankful for the outbuilding that houses our hay, straw and grain that are brought home in the little truck.
I am thankful for the full sun that shines on most of the property and the little bit of shady area for relaxing outside in the summer. The sun is light and warmth. The trees, both evergreen and deciduous, offer what they have. Goats enjoy munching the leaves that litter the lawn in the fall and pines are one of their favorites year round. In fact, they have someone's Christmas tree in their goat yard for afternoon snacks!

1 comment: